ROASTED ACORN SQUASH
WITH TURKEY SAUSAGE AND KALE
Roasted winter squashes are a favorite of most of our clients, and Fall is the perfect time to enjoy them. They are hearty and delicious, as well as versatile. You can simply roast the acorn squash alone or add the turkey sausage and kale for added flavor. You can also sprinkle it with parmesan cheese on the maintenance plan. One serving covers your protein, vegetable and fat for one meal. There are 4 servings in this recipe.
- 2 small to medium acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
- 4 Tbsp virgin coconut or avocado oil, divided
- Himalayan sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1 leek, cut in half, sliced 1/4" thick or 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pkg Al Fresco Sweet or Hot Italian Chicken Sausage, casings removed (found at Kroger)
- 4 cups tightly packed, torn organic kale or spinach (can use bagged)
- Crushed red pepper, to taste (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Cut a very thin slice off the round bottom of the halved squash to create a stable base. Grease each half of acorn squash with oil, then sprinkle with sea salt & pepper. Place squash flesh side down on the baking sheet. Bake until golden and tender, approx. 35-45 minutes. (Insert a knife through the skin to check.)
While squash is roasting, cut the skin/casing off of the sausages. Heat a skillet and 2 Tbsp oil on medium-high heat. Add sausage and brown, while breaking it into coarse pieces, until cooked through. Set aside into a bowl (leave fat in the pan), then add leeks or onion, sautéing until soft. (Can add oil, if needed) Add kale and crushed red pepper (if using), cooking until tender, 5-10 minutes. Add sausage and mix well.
Remove squash from oven, placing upright on a plate. Stuff the squash with 1/4 of the sausage mixture and sprinkle with 1/2 Tbsp of walnuts. Or remove the squash from the skin onto a plate and serve the sausage mixture over it. Enjoy!
Roast the acorn squash according to above directions. Serve with Kerry Gold butter, salt and pepper.