WITH CREAMY TOMATO SPINACH SAUCE
This recipe is so delicious. It takes very little time to make - yet is very satisfying with an easy-to-make creamy tomato and spinach sauce. We exchange the heavy cream usually found in this dish, for coconut cream. You can use marinara sauce in place of the tomato sauce for another depth of flavor. Just look for one without added sugars (tomato has some natural sugar on its own), like Muir Glen. Serve with a side of cauliflower rice, roasted vegetables, or over spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles, and you have a very memorable meal. One serving covers your 3-oz of cooked protein and your fat for one meal.
- 1 Tbsp. virgin coconut or avocado oil
- 1-1/2 lbs. organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp. Pink Himalayan sea salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- 8 oz. organic tomato sauce or marinara sauce with no added sugar or added artificial sweeteners
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (refrigerate a can of coconut milk – the cream will separate, rise to the top and harden.)
- 4 oz. fresh organic spinach
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped or sliced into ribbons (or 1/4 tsp. dried basil), optional
Heat oil in a large stainless-steel skillet on medium heat. Season chicken thighs with sea salt & pepper. Place thighs (top side down) into hot skillet. Once nicely browned, flip over to the other side and brown. (Approx. 5 minutes each side) Set aside on a plate and keep warm.
In the same skillet, add tomato sauce, garlic and coconut cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then reduce to simmer. Add fresh spinach, stirring until just wilted. Adjust any salt & pepper seasoning.
Add chicken back into skillet. Continue simmering chicken until completely cooked and no longer pink in the center (10-15 minutes). Sprinkle with chopped basil and serve.