BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH TURKEY BACON
This is a favorite vegetable recipe that is perfect for Fall. Even if you haven’t cared for Brussels sprouts in the past, this dish may be the one to change your mind. One serving of this recipe is one cup of cooked vegetable. It covers your vegetable and 1/2 fat. Don’t worry about the protein from the turkey bacon and add your regular protein serving to your meal.
- 3 slices uncured turkey bacon, chopped
- 1½ Tbs. organic coconut, avocado or macadamia nut oil
- 1 shallot or ½ small red onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 lbs. Brussels sprouts (trim bottom and cut in half)
- Pink Himalayan salt & fresh-ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
Brown turkey bacon in ½ Tbs. oil in a stainless-steel skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove and set aside.
Add 1 Tbs. oil and sauté chopped onion for two minutes. Add Brussels sprouts, browning on one side, then stirring. Season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper (if using).
Add broth, bringing to a light boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in turkey bacon bits and serve.