CHILI DOG SOUP
Chili dogs are an all-American favorite. While the bun is never going to be weight-loss friendly, the flavors can be enjoyed anytime. This Chili Dog Soup is perfect during cold weather. Adapted from a recipe on ibreatheimhungry.com, this easy dish can be made on top of the stove or in a crock pot. There are 8 servings in this recipe. One serving covers your protein for one meal. Add some diced onions and a quarter diced avocado for fat or Cumin Lime Coleslaw or Broccoli Slaw for added veggies and fat.
- 1.5 lbs. grass-fed ground beef
- 4 Applegate Farms 100% Grass-Fed Beef Hot Dogs
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa (no added sugar, like Pace, Tostitos
- or Simple Truth)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground dry mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup (no added sugar) (Genesis weight loss manual recipe or Primal Kitchen Ketchup (available at Amazon)
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (or yellow mustard)
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
Combine ground beef, hot dogs, salsa, water, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and ground mustard in a medium-sized pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes (or 3 hours in a crockpot on low heat).
Stir in the ketchup, mustard and red wine vinegar and cook another 5 minutes. Serve alone or topped with diced sweet or green onions and avocado.