There are so many different ways to make Ratatouille, that the exact amounts of each vegetable isn’t important. It is basically a French vegetable stew that puts to use all the wonderful summer vegetables that are being harvested.
- Organic, unrefined, Coconut, or Avocado Oil
- Himalayan sea salt, to taste
- Crushed red pepper, to taste or optional
- 1 large onion, -small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 large tomatoes - medium dice
- 1 red pepper, seeded – medium dice
- 1 medium eggplant – medium dice
- 2 small summer squash – medium dice
- 2 small zucchini – medium dice
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, rolled and cut into ribbons
Bring a large pan to medium heat, adding a couple of Tbs. of oil and the onions. Sauté 5-7 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. You don’t want them to brown, but to soften.
Add in the tomatoes, ½ cup of filtered water, thyme and crushed red pepper (to taste) and season with salt. Cook until the tomatoes have broken down, about 15-20 minutes.
Add the peppers, cooking for 5 minutes. Then add the eggplant, summer squash and zucchini. Season again with salt and cook 15-20 minutes, or until soft.
When finished cooking, stir in the fresh basil and voila!