BALSAMIC GREEN BEANS
WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
Instead of a heavy green bean casserole for the holidays, elevate the richness of your vegetable with Balsamic vinegar and caramelized onions. These green beans are easy to make and require little time from start to finish. One serving equals one cup of cooked vegetables for one meal.
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced in small wedges
- 1 pound fresh or frozen (thawed) whole green beans
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Himalayan sea salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 Tbsp organic Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Swerve confectioners or 2 drops of liquid stevia
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped or slivered almonds (optional)
In a large skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat. Separate the onion layers and place in skillet. Turn heat to low-medium and sauté until golden brown, stirring often.
Add green beans, salt and pepper, and sauté for 2-3 minutes with the onions, turning frequently and mixing well so as not to burn.
Stir in 1/4 cup of water, cover and simmer about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
Cook until desired doneness of green beans. (may need a tad more water)
Stir together the Balsamic vinegar and Swerve/stevia and pour over beans, gently stirring well. Top with toasted almonds.