HOLIDAY CREAMED SPINACH
Whether you are looking for a simple, but rich holiday side dish that you only eat on a special day or a maintenance plan recipe for any meal, this creamed spinach recipe covers it all. Although it contains dairy, it is low-carb and weight-loss friendly. It only takes 15 minutes to make, but tastes like you’ve spent a lot of time. One serving equals 1-1/3 cup cooked vegetable and covers your vegetable and fat for one meal.
- 3 Tbsp Kerry Gold butter
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 16 oz organic baby spinach (large tub), roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup organic heavy cream
- 3 oz. organic cream cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg, or to taste (optional)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- Himalayan sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2-3/4 cup organic Parmesan cheese, grated
Heat butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
Add spinach. Sauté for 2-4 minutes, until wilted. If the pan is too full to stir, cover it for a minute or two to let the bottom spinach wilt – then you can stir it better.
Add heavy cream, cream cheese, sea salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne or crushed red pepper. Stir constantly until cream cheese melts, continuing to cook a few minutes until thickened. Add Parmesan cheese.