CHICKEN SAUSAGE, CABBAGE
AND APPLE SKILLET
One key to weight loss is having delicious meals that are quick and easy to fix, but taste like you spent a lot of time in the kitchen. This recipe is a perfect example. It’s very satisfying and provides the warm, heartiness of a perfect Fall dinner. Remember, not all sausages are created equal, so don’t cut corners on brands that contain additives, preservatives or unhealthy ingredients and the animals aren’t fed properly. This recipe provides four servings – each contains one serving of protein, 1 cup cooked vegetable, ½ fat, and ½ fruit.
- 1 package (5 links) Al Fresco Sweet Italian or Hot Italian Chicken Sausage, sliced into coins
- 1 Tbs. virgin coconut, macadamia nut or avocado oil, plus more if needed
- 1 medium red or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium head of cabbage, coarsely chopped (equals approx. 8 cups); or can use 2-14 oz packages shredded cabbage
- 2 organic Granny Smith apples, quartered and cut into thin slices
- 2 Tbs. Braggs apple cider vinegar (optional, but very good)
- Himalayan sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper, to taste (optional)
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and brown well on both sides (reduce heat, if needed to keep from burning). You want a nice caramel color to add flavor. Remove from pan and keep warm.
Add onion and sauté until brown and tender. Return sausage to the pan along with the cabbage. (Can add more oil if needed) Mix well and cook until nearly tender. Add the apples and sauté until tender, but not mushy.
Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar and season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.